Membership in the Pet Food Institute provides an opportunity to build important relationships that can serve your business throughout the year. PFI works diligently to represent the interests of member companies in many areas and provides the following types of services:
- Government Relations - PFI actively monitors key issues at the state and federal level including unfair taxes on pet foods, pet ownership measures, and international trade requirements.
- Regulatory Affairs - PFI works closely with dog and cat food makers to develop industry-wide consensus on key issues such as product labeling and ingredient policies. PFI has established and maintains a positive working relationship with federal and state regulatory officials, through which it seeks to provide valuable industry input into regulatory and policy decision making affecting the production and sale of dog and cat food.
- Public Affairs - Greater public awareness of the importance of nutrition and food safety for human health has led to increased attention paid to the nutritional needs of pets. PFI is dedicated to promoting awareness of the nutritional soundness of commercially prepared pet foods. PFI has also created a website for consumer information and answers to frequently asked questions about pet food, The Pet Food Report, A Consumers Guide to Pet Food (www.petfoodreport.com).
- Convention/Special Events - PFI provides a unique opportunity for representatives of many facets of the industry to meet Feed and Pet Food Joint Conference, an even co-hosted with PFI's strategic partner, the National Grain and Feed Association. The 2013 Joint Conference will be held in Indianapolis, Ind., September 24-26, at the JW Marriott. For more information on the Joint Conference or to register, please visit www.jointconference.org.
- Media Communications - PFI closely monitors the national and local news media for news stories impacting the industry. A summary of these stories is distributed to all members approximately once per week.
- Internet Services - PFI provides a free internet listing to all members on this website. Affiliate Members have the option of including product information in their listing. Additionally, all members gain access to a password-protected section that includes daily postings of news stories impacting the industry, useful links, and updates on PFI's regulatory and legislative activity.
- Support of Research - PFI has provided considerable support for research over the years, including work on cat and dog nutrition, the human/companion animal bond, and pet care.
The Pet Food Institute has two membership categories:
- Active Members - makers of dry, canned, and semi-moist dog and cat foods and treats for dogs and cats
- Affiliate Members - suppliers of ingredients, equipment, and services to the pet food industry
For more information or a membership application, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.