Exercise is additional component to in ensuring pet health and wellbeing. Regular exercise also strengthens your bond with your pet. A few examples of ways to keep your pet active and engaged include:
- Basic obedience training;
- Teaching your dog to swim;
- Playing hide and seek to engage the brain;
- Running, walking or biking with your dog; and
- Engaging in dog sports, like chasing a flying disc, tracking and agility challenges.
- Setting up a cat tower with small treats to encourage climbing and playing;
- Keeping plenty of household toys around to encourage play;
- Using a laser pointer, flashlight or wand-style toy for interactive exercises; and
- Tempting your cat with hidden treats in a toy for batting and knocking practice.
The calories cats and dogs need to consume daily to maintain their weight is far less than what people need. Healthy adult people generally should consume 2,000-2,500 calories per day. In comparison, according to the standard formula used to calculate the daily caloric needs of pets, an average 50-pound, adult neutered dog typically needs just under 1,000 calories daily. An average 10-pound, adult neutered cat needs around 220 calories each day.,
Download our infograph to learn more and share the important message on pet weight management.